Friday, August 24, 2012

It is time to predict the winners of T20 World Cup 2012

Hi Guyz,

Hope you can remember i have predicted the World cup 2011 as well earlier. but some works as it is some didn't. but anyway i thought it's fun to predict something before it's happening whether it will be same as it is or not.

So i will get the whole fixture of the t20 world cup and predict it one by one.

I will put the color green to the winning team and the details about the predictions will follow under each match, and will update the prediction become right or wrong as the tournament goes on

Group C : 1st T20 - Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe = Predicted Correctly

No wonder srilanka will win over zimbabwe as we all know there's no need to compare srilanka and zimbabwe in cricket at the moment, but do not forget this is the shorter format of cricket, anything can happen. but sri lanka will win this one without any issue.

Group B : 2nd T20 - Australia vs Ireland Predicted Correctly

Do i need to predict this ? :) yes of course Aussies will go through and they will try to get the maximum out of this game like let their players to get in to form in sub continent pitches.

Group A : 3rd T20 - India vs Afghanistan Predicted Correctly

Looks like we can see such a wonderful matches upfront of the world cup, it's like elephant competing with ant :). Indian will win this match with a big margin for sure.

Group C : 4th T20 - South Africa vs Zimbabwe Predicted Correctly

Just like the Aussies, Africans also will get this match as their practice match and get the best out of it and will win it without much effort.

Group D : 5th T20 - New Zealand vs Bangladesh = Predicted Correctly

Hardest game so far to predict. isnt it ? because not like in the history, now Bangladesh is a very good team with getting more experience in t20s with playing other country's leagues and their own BPL as well. now they have a good team with much experience. and the best thing is almost their all the players came to play in SLPL and they know about the conditions in Sri Lanka very much compare to other countries.

But i think still they will not able to win over New Zealand as their power hitters will come in to action and cramp the Banlagesh team and kiwis will win this one.

Group A : 6th T20 - England vs Afghanistan = Predicted Correctly

Here comes the depending champions of world t20. they were brilliant in 2010 but will they able to do the same in 2012 in sub continent country Sri Lanka ? and looks like the Kevin Peterson also will not include to the squad, and it will cost them a lot. but anyway England is far better than Afganistan to beat Afganisthan.

Group C : 7th T20 - Sri Lanka vs South Africa = Predicted Wrong (But have to say if the game went for 20 overs Sri Lanka should have win, as lankans dominated to plan the inning for 20 overs ) Anyway if Sri Lanka could send Thisara Perera one down, and Mathews two down they could have win this one.

Best match so far of the tournament, even i cannot predict this as like i did to previous matches without any hesitation. because both teams are fully power packed teams in various ways. one advantage to Sri Lanka is they are playing in their soil, and also the bowlers like Lasith Malinga, will be a headache to them for sure. though srilankan batsmen could not do much in this match, srilankan bowlers will dominated in this match and Sri Lanka will win this one. but it will not easy for the lankans. it will be a very close match.

Group B : 8th T20 - Australia vs West Indies Predicted Wrong (This also decided with duck worth Lewis, but if the match gone for total 20 overs, my prediction should have been true)

You amazed with this prediction ? do not be amazed. i want to tell you few names only then you will realize there's nothing to be amazed :). Chris Gayle, Dwayne Bravo, Marlon Samuels, Kieron Pollard, Sunil Narine, Andrew Russel. What do you think now ? will the young and new Aussie team can match this giant west indies team ? my guess is no. because west indies is one of the favorite in  this tournament, but they have to put their all strengths together if they want to become the t20 champions this time. but first shock of the tournament i would say, Aussie will lost in this match as the conditions also bit familiar to west indies than aussies.

Group D : 9th T20 - New Zealand vs Pakistan Predicted Correctly

Nothing to be amazed here isn't it ? because as Pakistanis feel like they are playing at their home as the conditions are same as Pakistan and also their players were played lot in Sri Lanka recently with Sri Lanka and in SLPL too. so kiwi will not be strength enough to give a fight to Pakistan to win this match.

Group A : 10th T20 - England vs India Predicted Correctly

Though Indians did not participate to SLPL they had an awesome series with Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka recently and they were brilliant aren't they ? so they will keep their good form in Sri Lanka and they will definitely win this match.

Group B : 11th T20 - West Indies vs Ireland Match has been abandoned, anyway if west indies could bat definitely the target should have been a very easy one for them

Do i need to predict this ? but do not forget Ireland also have some great players for this format as they normally playing lots of t20 s in domestic levels. but it will not enough to defeat west indian big army. west indies will win this one for sure.

Group D : 12th T20 - Bangladesh vs Pakistan  = Predicted Correctly

This match also is not easy to predict as we all know Bangladesh is a team that cannot be predicted, some day they are playing very well some days they were like the beginners for cricket. but though Bangladesh lost  this match and thrown out of the world cup they will defeat this match with giving a good fight to Pakistan. this will be a very close game for sure.

So i have predicted all the preliminary matches, now i have to predict the super eight matches, before that we will find out who are in the super eights

So far my prediction for 2 matches went wrong out of 12, but all of them were affected by rain.

Group A - England, India
Group B - Australia,West Indies
Group C - Sri Lanka, South Africa
Group D - Pakistan, New Zealand

All of the above teams will categorize into 2 another groups at this stage

Super Eight Group 1
1. England
2. West Indies
3. Sri Lanka
4. New Zealand

Super Eight Group 2
1. India
2. Australia
3. South Africa
4. Pakistan

So the super eight matches will be played like below

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand Predicted Correctly (What a match it was, super over won by Sri lanka)

Sri Lanka will carries out the good form in the preliminary rounds and they can easily beat New Zealand. In this match the kiwis will struggle to bat against srilankan spinners.

England vs West Indies Predicted Correctly

West Indies batting power will rise again here and they will win, but England also will fight hard on this match.

Pakistan vs South Africa Predicted Wrong

Hmmm... bit hard to predict, but i think South Africa is a very strong team than Pakistan these days, as they have a good unit in batting and bowling both. When the things is not going their way (Even slightly) Pakistan team is becoming a mess, lots of players trying to blame the others in the field etc..... but spearhead Umar Gul, Saeed Ajmal will be a threat to South Africa. but anyway South Africans will use their batting performance than their bowling performance in this match they will win this match.

India vs Australia Predicted Wrong

Though aussies got a good team, i think indian batting is in a good form at this point and they will come up with their best and will win this one comfortably.

England vs New Zealand
 Predicted Correctly

England also got a well balanced team this time, and New Zealand too, but the England all round performance will be enough to beat New Zealand at this match

Sri Lanka vs West Indies Predicted Correctly

When we look at the both teams definitely west indies have the more weight, but as i experienced though west indies do have fire power and talent, when it comes to play as a team they are bit low in performance, but sri lanka will play hard on this match and right balance will make them the victory of this match. Sri Lanka will out Chris Gayle before he is start to fire (Possibly using Sri Lankan spinners) and Sri Lanka willl win this one.

Australia vs South Africa Predicted Wrong

South Africa is a strong team at this point compare to Australia, and Africans is well up to the tasks, Aussies will lost this one though they did not expected

Pakistan vs India Predicted Correctly

This match will be a very close match as always india vs pakistan matches goes. though pakistan beat india in warm up match, india will come up with new plans and will win this one, specially the spinners of india will play a major role of this match

West Indies vs New Zealand = Predicted Correctly

West Indies will play like a unit and will win this one. their both departments will play well in this match. Sunil Narine will be a threat to New Zealand than they expected.

England vs Sri Lanka = Predicted Correctly

England will try their best to win this one, but Sri Lanka will win this one with spinning power as England are not much good for the spinners, hope fully Sri Lanka will use Mendis, Akila or Mendis and Rangana, that means 2 spinners along with someone like Jeewan Mendis

Australia vs Pakistan = Predicted Correctly

Pakistan definitely the favorites of this match because they got a good spinning unit, and hopefully they will be able to out aussies openers, Shane Watson and David Warner early with using Mohommed Haffeez or Saeed Ajmal early in the inning.

India vs South Africa = Predicted Wrong

South Africans bowling, batting is in a good form at this point, and their fast bowling unit will not let Indian batsmen to get lots of runs.

So at the end of the Super eight fixtures the Point tables will be like below

Super Eight Group 1

1. Sri Lanka >>> Played - 3 Win - 3 Points -  = Predicted Correctly
2. West Indies >>> Played - 3 Win - 2 Points - 4 = Predicted Correctly
3. England >>> Played - 3 Win - 1 Points - 2 = Predicted Correctly
4. New Zealand >>> Played - 3 Win - 0 Points - 0 = Predicted Correctly

Super Eight Group 2

1. South Africa >>> Played - 3 Win - 3 Points - Predicted Wrong
2. India >>> Played - 3 Win - 2 Points - Predicted Correctly
3. Pakistan >>> Played - 3 Win - 1 Points - Predicted Wrong
4. Australia >>> Played - 3 Win - 0 Points - Predicted Wrong

So the Semi Finals will be played like below.

Sri Lanka(Predicted Correctly) vs India
West Indies(Predicted Correctly) vs South Africa

Don't they are the favorites before the Series ? I think yes. So now we are the Business End of the series. So we will predict it also

Sri Lanka(Predicted Correctly)vs India

Here it comes, very hard to predict. yes India have beaten Sri Lanka in last t20 they played in Sri Lanka and laso the warm up match. but Sri Lanka were not that much bad in that match. and do not forget Sri Lanka played without Nuwan Kulasekara and Kumar Sangakkara (In last indian visit to Sri Lanka), and both are included to the t20 squad, that means both of them are fine now. so Sri Lanka with 100% strength with Experience, Youth, Unorthodox etc... and Sri Lanka need to win this game badly because they have the defeat in their mind (WC Final and Recent Tournament) like a wound in their mind and they will fight to win this one for sure.

West Indies(Predicted Correctly) vs South Africa

Battle between Batsmen. Both side consist of good batting line up with few all rounders. but South African bowling unit is far better than West Indies on and off bowling unit. South Africans will manage to pull this one off and enter in to the T20 World cup final. South African bowling attack will destroy West Indian batting line up and the batsmen of South Africans will play very intelligently to the West Indian Bowlers. At this time South Africa is not the team who came to Sri Lanka at the beginning of this world cup, They totally adhere to the conditions and once they settles in , it's very tough to beat them.

Finally we have came to end of the tournament. It's the Big Final on 7th of October 2012, Local time is 8.00 PM. We can expect surely the full house capacity in the grounds because home team made in to the finals. Which team will go to the Cricket History as the winners in 2012 T20 World Cup ?

Will Sri Lankan will able to wipe the tears of World Cup 2011 and wining with style ?
Will South Africans able to remove their tag as Chokers by wining the 2012 T20 world cup and let the world know how much confidence they have in their team.

Finals : Sri Lanka (Predicted Correctly) vs South Africa

Okay, here we go with my final prediction of this tournament. Hardest prediction ever, because both teams deserves to be in the Finals. though South Africa beaten by Sri Lankans in the preliminary round with a very close match (According to my predictions :) ) Sri Lankan also know that it's not easy to play with Africans. And South African players in two minds. one is they will feel they are tagged as Chokers, and it will be bit stress, and also they will feel and they will up their morals by thinking, "we will remove the chokers tag today for sure" and they definitely do not want to take that burden forward.

So we will think about the both teams now, and both teams and also wining of this format of cricket always depend on the All Rounders. Sri Lanka have Angelo Mathews, Thisara Perera, Jeewan Mendis South African have JP Dumini, Jacque Kallis, Albie Morkel.

In fast bowling we can say that Lasith Malinga, Nuwan Kulasekara will be a big strength for Sri Lanka as well as Morne Morkel, Dale Steyn for South Africa.

In Spinning attack Rangana Herath, Akila Dananjaya, Ajantha Mendis and for South Africa Johan Botha, Robin Peterson, JP Duminy.

In batting if Mahela, Sangakkara and Dilshan in a good form at this point just think how much effect it to the opposition. Not only Sri Lankan batsmen, if AB Deviliers, Albie Morkel, Jacque Kallis also in a good form hope you can understand how much the threat it will be.

So looks like both the team evenly match. and very hard to select a winner by words. isnt it ?

But anyway i want to finish what i started, if i did not predict this one, this whole post is useless :) . So here is the prediction. Though Sri Lankans bowling were the strength throughout the tournament, in this match Sri Lankan batsmen will put up their maximum effort. but the bowlers also will play a key role to make the South African batsmen to make more mistakes at crucial times of their inning.

This also will be a very close match, but finally Sri Lanka will be hold their nerves to became the Champions of World T20 2012. And the crowd will be over the moon and whole island will lighten with their teams' achievement. and the South African will have to keep their tag "Chokers" until the next big event comes to prove they are not the "Chokers"

T20 World Cup 2012 Winners : Sri Lanka Predicted Wrong

Please note: I have predict this by taken the players' Recent Form, Condition Advantage, Crowd Support, History, Individual Highlighted Players in each team, How they have faced in big moments in recent past. and most importantly playing as a team, unit and the strategies they can have. 

Disclaim : I have not use this post to insult to any country or any player. If anyone wants to put this post to any place you can do that, but please share my blog link somewhere in your post that indicate you have taken from this my blog.

Conclusion : These are my sole ideas, and thought to structured them nicely in somewhere , so i thought my blog is the best place for that. It was fun to analyze the fixtures one by one and hope you also had some fun while reading it :) . but anyway i  know this wont happen 100%  as t20 cricket is a format that very hard to predict, with one bad over whole the match can be changed. and there are 2 things that mind says this may be wrong :) one is may be Bangladesh will make in to the Super Eight by Putting New Zealand out of the Super Eight, and other one is Pakistan will make a big impact than i predict on this. by the way we will see what happen. Anyway no doubt  this will be a very interesting tournament and also the Best T20 World Cup Ever.

Thanks you for your time to read my post
Charitha Ranasingha

3 comments:

Mike Ryxton said...

Wow!!! Whether this is going to be true or false, the way you wrote is very nice, very interesting

Anonymous said...

Awesome man!!!!!!!! Great Job, hope your prediction will be true.

Cheers!

kacy said...

good prediction but i cant 100% agree with the way you feel about west indies and pakistan....west indies not that good when they come to play as a team.and you can never underestimate pakistan they may not the best team but they are among the best.also they played good cricket when its matter..so sri lanka,south africa,pakisthan and india 'll be in semis as i predict....